Friday, September 4, 2009

This morning at 9:55 I greeted my 37th year.  Of course, I feel more like 27, with a few extra laugh lines as evidence of life well lived.

As a teacher, this time of year is already imbued with a sense of new beginnings. Compound that with the coincidence of my birthday and the sentiment is all that much deeper professionally and personally.   In journals all the way back to the 80's I've documented annually my hopes and dreams for my "new year"... "be kissed by a boy" to "get accepted to college" to "get a dog" to "get a job" to "find the love of my life" to "run a 10K" to "be the best mother I can be"...

This year, though...this year rather than swearing to drink more water, work out more regularly, be on time, and grade my students' essays in a more timely manner I simply make a promise to myself.

My promise is to be consumer debt free by the time I turn 40.

That's big.  Especially considering the sum I'll be shrinking.  But, I have faith I can do this.  I have to.

I'm imagining September 2012 - when I greet my fortieth new year without the weight of debt - that will be freedom, possibility, peace.   Only three years away!  You'll all be invited to the celebration so mark your calendars!

Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment